Mileage Reimbursement: Don't Be Cheated

Do you drive your personal vehicle for your work-related purposes? You don't have to foot the bill—in fact, you are entitled to mileage reimbursement at the rates set under California employment law. You are entitled to go back for a period of four years from the date that you made your claim for the mileage reimbursement.

The reimbursement rates for the last several years are as follows:

  • 2015 — 57.5 cents per mile
  • 2014 — 56 cents per mile
  • 2013 — 56.5 cents per mile
  • 2012 — 55.5 cents per mile
  • 2011 — 51 cents per mile

If you believe you have not received full compensation at any point in the last four years, you should take action. Your right to mileage reimbursement still stands, even if your employer already reimbursed you for gas and maintenance. The employer would receive a credit against your mileage reimbursement.

How to Recover Reimbursement

In order to obtain reimbursement, you have to prove that you drove a given amount of mileage and that this mileage was driven on company business. These records are generally easy to obtain, especially if the employer has reimbursed you for gas and maintenance or there is a record of service locations. Employers are required to keep mileage records for at least 3 years.

For a quick resolution of the matter, contact Alan Burton Newman, PLC for a free consultation with an employment lawyer in Los Angeles, CA.