Laws That Protect You Against Discrimination in the Workplace and School
Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA)
- Employees are protected from harassment and discrimination based upon sexual orientation in the workplace
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals are protected from harmful and belittling activity based on their orientation
- Protects their rights against retaliation for bringing their complaint against the employer or the school. The complainant does not have to prove his or her complaint for discrimination and/or harassment based on sexual orientation but only that it was made in good faith and was reasonable under the circumstances.
California Educational Code
- Students and teachers are protected from harassment and discrimination based upon sexual orientation at school
- Students and teachers are also protected from cyber sexual bullying
Looking for a Discrimination or Harassment Attorney?
The investigation of the complaint must be made respecting the privacy of the individual. With good legal representation, there should be little fear of coming forward. With this in mind, it is of vital importance that you choose to work with a sexual harassment lawyer who is experienced in, and equipped to handle, such claims. Relatively few attorneys in California have actually brought lawsuits under the FEHA and the California Educational Code for the benefit of individuals who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender.